Sunday 25 August 2013

DREAMER

And and and and is is is a GOAL!!!’ ‘He takes the ball, he dribbles he takes one he takes two, oh no he kicks it over the bar’. As simple as the above words may sound, it has sent many to early graves. . I grew up listening to such words mostly from a radio set. I'm grown now, yet I can't seem to shake off these tension evoking words. These are not words spoken by demons or witches but uttered by men who believed they were doing Nigerians a favour. Don't get me wrong, I adored such men while growing up and envied the way they ‘killed’ old men and made young men dance mamako and kunte. However there is an old proverb in Africa that says 'A boy who has not gone to another's farm will believe that his father's is the biggest'. This was my curse for a while until my deliverance came in form of men not preachers or angels. These were the western commentators who had made child's play of what we held so dear. Once gods in our hearts, our local commentators are now just public announcers to us. The hype, pleasure, satisfaction derived from the game of football can be traced to the influence of western commentators. We were slaves but liberated we are finally. Who said western influence is totally wrong. If not for them we would have gradually witnessed demise in the IQ of every African. Yes I said it, we would have started saying 'is is a Goal' instead of just Goal. We would have kept saying ‘Penarity’ instead of Penalty. The list goes on. Am sure you are all thinking of it right now. The stupid things of our past. Don't laugh, but meditate because if you do, you'll actually be laughing not at our men of old but at yourself, because such words brought you joy once. I'm glad i'm delivered and so should you all. Thank God I went to see the farm land of another…………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment